Stop Motion for Teens & High Schoolers
August 2, 4, 6 | 10am – Noon & August 9 | 10am – 11am
This short course will cover the basic principles of stop motion animation and will provide participants the essential skills needed to create their own animated films using a simple (and mobile!) setup. We will discuss how to create different kinds of animated movement, experiment with some different materials (objects, drawings, our homes, ourselves!), and watch plenty of films. Participants are encouraged to think creatively about what we choose to animate. How can we experiment with our materials and methods to tell different stories? What can a coffee mug say that a cookie jar cannot? The course is designed for participants with little-to-no animation experience, but those who do have some experience will be prompted to create more complex works. More than anything, we’ll have fun watching films, discussing animation techniques, and making films!
Materials Participants will need to have available/acquire:
- An Android or iOS smartphone
- The Stop Motion Studio app by Cateater (this is free). Available on Google Play or Apple
- A phone tripod with Bluetooth remote control (~$20 on Amazon. Here’s a good example)
- A clear work surface (a sturdy table or desk — preferably not carpet)
- For the first day, a pile of beans! (These could be jellied or dried — you’re welcome to bring something similar, like dried pasta or coins. We’re looking for a small pile of similarly-sized objects.)
- A Google Drive account (for sharing our films!)
- Access to additional materials of your choice (clay, paper, charcoal are great options — we’ll discuss this further in class)
- A roll of blue painter’s tape.
Instructor: John Summerson
Ages: 14 – 19 years of age
The Portland Art Museum is pleased to offer accommodations to ensure that our programs are accessible and inclusive. All spaces for this program are accessible by wheelchair. Assistive listening devices are also available for lectures. All restrooms have accessible stalls but no power doors. There are single-stall all-gender bathrooms available. Please ask staff for directions.
We will do our best to accommodate your needs when you arrive, however, we need 2-3 weeks advance notice for some specific requests. Please email requests to email@example.com, or call 503-226-2811.